Iran’s Computer Emergency Response Team (IR-CERT) issued a warning on Sunday about a newly discovered malicious program that is erasing hard drives on infected systems in that country – just the latest data-destroying malware to appear there. IR-CERT said that an investigation by its Maher center found that the malware “wipes files on different drives in various predefined times,” including disk partitions and user profiles. However, the malware isn’t widespread and doesn’t appear linked to “other sophisticated targeted attacks,” the alert said – in a possible reference to the Stuxnet and Flame malware, both of which targeted Iranian critical infrastructure. Subsequent analysis by independent security firms confirmed most of the details of the IR-CERT warning. Writing on Monday, Jamie Blasco of the firm Alien Vault said the malware was “just another wiping malware” and “very simple,” and could have been delivered in a variety of ways – from USB drive […]Read more ›
Post Tagged with: "wiper"
Get Security Ledger Updates
- Santhiraj Sathanna: It looks that we have to go back to stone age? We can make …
- Mark Stanislav: For those who may come across this, we have an updated relea…
- securityledger: Easier said than done - the interconnections between traditi…
- Joe: Or you could just keep the digital systems offline, so you o…
- securityledger: Yes - sentence fragment. A good catch. I've removed the frag…
Internet of Things: 10 Essential Infographs
The Internet of Things is a difficult concept to get your arms around. Fortunately, others have done some of the thinking for you. Check out these great IoT infographs to learn more.
IBM Smart City Big Data Cover
IBM uses this infograph to pull together information that shows how the "Big Data" revolution is changing the way urban centers operate.
Follow Us On TwitterMy Tweets
- Update: New 25 GPU Monster Devours Passwords In Seconds 133 comments
- Many Watering Holes, Targets In Hacks That Netted Facebook, Twitter and Apple 54 comments
- Security Hole in Samsung Smart TVs Could Allow Remote Spying 39 comments
- Questions, Doubts greet Researcher's Claim to have Chrome Zero Day 16 comments
- Update: DARPA Cyber Chief Peiter "Mudge" Zatko Heads To Google 16 comments
- Update: New 25 GPU Monster Devours Passwords In Seconds 233125 views
- Security Hole in Samsung Smart TVs Could Allow Remote Spying 18247 views
- Samsung Smart TV: Like A Web App Riddled With Vulnerabilities 9651 views
- Tantalizing Clues in Dexter Malware Lead to Mystery Man…and Zeus 6696 views
- Exclusive: Apple Store Favorite IZON Cameras Riddled With Security Holes 5929 views
About The Editor
I'm an experienced writer, reporter and industry analyst with a decade of experience covering IT security, cyber security and hacking, and a fascination with the fast-emerging "Internet of Things."