Iran’s Computer Emergency Response Team (IR-CERT) issued a warning on Sunday about a newly discovered malicious program that is erasing hard drives on infected systems in that country – just the latest data-destroying malware to appear there. IR-CERT said that an investigation by its Maher center found that the malware “wipes files on different drives in various predefined times,” including disk partitions and user profiles. However, the malware isn’t widespread and doesn’t appear linked to “other sophisticated targeted attacks,” the alert said – in a possible reference to the Stuxnet and Flame malware, both of which targeted Iranian critical infrastructure. Subsequent analysis by independent security firms confirmed most of the details of the IR-CERT warning. Writing on Monday, Jamie Blasco of the firm Alien Vault said the malware was “just another wiping malware” and “very simple,” and could have been delivered in a variety of ways – from USB drive […]Read more ›
Post Tagged with: "wiper"
Security Ledger Video
Paul talks with Sean Lorenz of Xively about the latest CES.
Paul chats with Pete Chestna and Ryan O'Boyle of Veracode about integrating secure development into agile development environments.
- Larry Constantine: @not a police state moppet - My agenda in fiction is pretty simple: get people thinking and raise public awareness ……
- Thanh: There is virtually no stopping thuese horrible creatures. They work by interfering with the natural egg laying and hatching process that …
- Paul: Hey- awesome comments, IoTSecGuy. Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past with IoT! …
- SomeIOTSecGuy: There are some very tangible things that we can do right now that move us a long way towards securing ……
- Paul: Hmm...I think that we're being rather tough on Chris Roberts here. The fact is: he did do responsible disclosure to ……
Our Recent Posts
- 3 days ago
Internet of Things Needs Future Proofing
In-brief: Security and IoT experts say the challenge
- 6 days ago
A Good Housekeeping Seal for the Connected Home?
In-brief: Experts on the security of the Internet of
- 1 week ago
Update: Hacker on a Plane: FBI Seizes Researcher’s Gear
In-brief: The FBI seized equipment from noted security
- 2 weeks ago
To Secure Modern Networks: Close The Visibility Gap
In-brief: In a world where billions of devices, users
- 2 weeks ago
Verizon: Internet of Things Hacks Pose Little Risk – For Now
In-brief: Verizon said in its latest Data Breach